HPD: Burglars break through walls in foiled attempt to steal prescription drugs from north Houston pharmacy
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Burglars were reportedly caught red-handed trying to break into a medical building on Houston's north side. It appears they were after prescription drugs and cash.
Someone triggered the burglar alarm at the Houston Health Care Systems and North Houston Medical Pharmacy building in the 7000 block of the North Freeway at Rittenhouse just after 2am.
The two men entered the building after popping out a panel of glass. From there they broke through three walls before finally getting inside the pharmacy. Police arrived, surrounded the building and caught two men who were still inside.
Ike Denning, the owner of the pharmacy, could not believe the lengths to which the men went to get inside. They broke the window and pulled out the glass and insulation. Then, they broke through the drywall on the other side.
If you look through the window, you can see where they ripped through the drywall into the doctor's office.
Once there, they apparently then smashed their way through yet another wall between the doctor's office and pharmacy.
"I just said, 'Oh my God,'" Denning said. "At first I thought it was just the doctor's office. I thought, 'At least it's not me this time.' Then, when I got inside, I realized they broke into the doctor's office, then broke through the doctor's office wall into my business, then out of my business into the building. So, it's quite a bit of little work for them."
The suspects were arrested without incident and face burglary charges.
Denning said, "You work hard to try to provide for your family and people who don't care, this is what they do for you."
Denning says the suspects had a duffel bag full of tools they used to get inside. He says the suspects were not able to get their hands on any controlled substances because they are secured inside the building.
The pharmacy and the doctor's office are both open for business as usual.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston