Increased police patrols near elementary schools in League City
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Patrols are increased near some elementary schools after a suspicious person tried to get a child into his car.
On Monday, League City police say a child was walking home from Hall Elementary School when he was approached by a stranger. The man asked if the student was locked out of his home, and told the child to get into his car. The boy ran to a neighbor's home to report the encounter.
The stranger was described as a male in his 60s with white hair driving an old four-door vehicle with faded red paint.
Police patrols have increased in the vicinity of all League City schools.
Clear Creek Independent School District officials sent a note to parents, stating that in the last week they've had reports of strangers asking students walking home if they wanted a ride in neighborhoods near Clear Lake City Elementary, Hall Elementary and Parr Elementary.
Parents are urged to teach their children how to respond to this type of situation. The discussion should include recognizing dangerous situations and identifying safe places to go and trusted adults. Children should also be taught to be assertive and trust their instincts. A four-step approach given by the National Crime Prevention Council includes "No, Go, Yell, Tell."
Citizens are encouraged to report any suspicious behavior directly to the League City Police Department at 281-332-2566 or 911. Look for license plate numbers, make and model of the vehicle, direction of travel, and any stickers or defects on the vehicle.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck 53 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena 9 min ago
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire 11 min ago
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan 2 min ago
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive