New York News
Birth year wrong on New York City Mayor Ed Koch's tombstone
NEW YORK -- The late mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, might not like his tombstone if he could see it.
Koch planned his own funeral in great detail, but when it came to engraving the tombstone, well, he had to leave that to someone else.
And they got it wrong.
The tombstone says Koch was born in 1942, but he was actually born in 1924, 18 years earlier.
The engraver, Tommy Flynn, of Flynn Funeral and Cremation Memorial Services, says it was "an inadvertent error" and that he feels "terrible." He says he'll correct it.
Koch was buried in Trinity Church cemetery in Washington Heights after dying of congestive heart failure in February at 88.
The Democratic mayor is credited with helping save New York from its economic crisis in the 1970s and leading it to financial rebirth.
new york city, famous deaths, ed koch, new york news
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 11 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 14 min ago
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home 30 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 24 min ago
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 54 min ago
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets 13 min ago
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle