New York News
Birth year wrong on New York City Mayor Ed Koch's tombstone
NEW YORK -- The late mayor of New York City, Ed Koch, might not like his tombstone if he could see it.
Koch planned his own funeral in great detail, but when it came to engraving the tombstone, well, he had to leave that to someone else.
And they got it wrong.
The tombstone says Koch was born in 1942, but he was actually born in 1924, 18 years earlier.
The engraver, Tommy Flynn, of Flynn Funeral and Cremation Memorial Services, says it was "an inadvertent error" and that he feels "terrible." He says he'll correct it.
Koch was buried in Trinity Church cemetery in Washington Heights after dying of congestive heart failure in February at 88.
The Democratic mayor is credited with helping save New York from its economic crisis in the 1970s and leading it to financial rebirth.
new york city, famous deaths, ed koch, new york news
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 18 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 46 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290