New York News
Large fire in Hamilton Heights apartment building
NEW YORK -- Investigators say Monday's five alarm fire in Hamilton Heights was accidental.
It appears to have been sparked by an overloaded electrical outlet, the fire marshal's office said.
The fire started at 3:45 p.m. and quickly went to a 5th alarm at 520 West 139th St.
Heavy fire was visible inside the 7-story apartment building.
Authorities said the occupants of the apartment where the fire began left their door open while escaping. Residents are reminded to close the door behind them, as open doors allow fire to quickly grow and spread, which is what invesitgators say happened in this case.
Nineteen firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation - 11 at the scene and eight at Weill Cornell Medical Center. A civilian was treated for minor injuries.
new york city, hamilton heights, fire, new york news
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston 19 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- David Tillman's Saturday weather forecast
57 min ago