New York News
Police arrest neighbor in shooting of 3-year-old boy in Brooklyn
FLATBUSH -- Neighbors say it has been a tough life for the three-year-old who was shot in the head early Saturday morning inside his Brooklyn apartment.
Born premature, neighbors say the boy was recently bit by a pit bull and survived, and now this.
On Saturday night, police charged a neighbor, Akeen Bernard, with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, endangering the welfare of a child, and tampering with evidence.
"I've seen the little kid around, the kid got bit by a dog a couple of months ago, and I hear the kid got shot in the head," said James Nicholas.
Relatives consoled each other outside the family's apartment on East 21st Street in Flatbush.
Investigators initially believed the toddler was hit by a stray bullet, but no bullet holes were found in any of the windows or walls.
The bullet entered the left side of the child's head. He is being treated at Cornell Medical center where he remains in critical, but stable condition.
new york city, brooklyn, flatbush, child shot, new york news
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat