San Francisco News
Man dies after falling from building during Bay to Breakers party in SF
SAN FRANCISCO -- The Bay to Breakers footrace itself went fairly smoothly this year but after the race, a tragedy took the life of a San Francisco man who fell from the roof of a building near Golden Gate Park.
Police are calling it a tragic accident. They say people were drinking and partying on the roof of a four-story building on Fell St. when the victim took a fatal fall.
The race had officially ended but at 3:30 in the afternoon, but the party was still going on. That's when Sue Keats noticed a group of people on the roof of a neighboring building. "I'm thinking this isn't a safe thing. Someone's going to fall. And within seconds of saying that, really, I saw him fall. I saw the whole thing, and I screamed, and it was horrible," she recalled.
David Hamzeh, 28, landed on the pavement below. He was critically injured and later died at the hospital.
Henry Hutchinson lives in the building next door. "What I noticed was there were 17 police, two fire engines, the ambulance, and his friends... had been seated. They were distraught," he said.
Hutchinson says every year, the block has a Bay to Breakers party and he did not think the one on the roof was out of hand. "My understanding, there was only 6 to 8 people. So how rowdy can that be?" he said.
Hamzeh worked at an online marketing company in San Francisco called "Demand Force." His colleagues did not comment on the incident Monday.
Police say rooftop parties are not illegal, although they do discourage them because they worry about incidents just like this.
bay to breakers, alcohol, falls, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy 26 min ago
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Child dies in rollover wreck along Gulf Freeway 40 min ago
- Car becomes lodged under box truck in SW Houston wreck 50 min ago
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Police: Intoxicated mom pushed baby in stroller
- Convict who escaped TX prison returns from Mexico 27 min ago
- Court filing: Tugboat in ship channel spill was speeding 20 min ago
- More space, shops coming to The Galleria 42 min ago
- Katy ISD student reportedly abducted from campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
32 min ago