Girl, 14, rescues 4 children from burning NYC apartment
(5/30/06 - NEW YORK) -- A 14-year-old girl rescued four children from a deadly apartment fire, but she couldn't save her grandmother or another young child, who was critically injured, family members said.
Dacreene Shaw woke her grandmother when she discovered the fire and grabbed her infant son and three young siblings, said her aunt Drenda Shaw.
The grandmother, 61-year-old Sarah Shaw, had suffered a stroke years earlier and had difficulty walking. She was able to get out of bed but collapsed, Drenda Shaw said. A 1-year-old girl was in critical condition, authorities said.
The teen was being treated at Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center for smoke inhalation.
"She's taking it really hard because she feels like she didn't save her grandmother," said her mother, Seanna Shaw. "She feels like she didn't try hard enough."
The fire started just after 5 p.m. Monday at the Howard Houses, a 10-building public housing development in Brooklyn. Officials said the fire was contained in the family's apartment. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger Woods about comment
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Doctor wants tougher laws on dog maulings
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- Texas AG sues to get Galveston Co. judge off bench
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone