Six people injured in melee at Serbian basketball game
(12/06/06 - BELGRADE, Serbia) -- Four fans and two police officers were injured during a wild brawl before a basketball game between Red Star Belgrade and PAOK Thessaloniki.
The fighting broke out late Tuesday at the ULEB Cup game after fans of Red Star's local rival, Partizan, showed up to support the visiting Greek team, police spokeswoman Dragana Kajganic said.
About 100 Partizan fans and a few dozen PAOK supporters fought several hundred Red Star fans in the stands and on the court at the Pionir Sports Hall in the Serbian capital. Fans also tossed flares and plastic seats.
"One of the fans sustained serious injuries, including a fractured arm," Kajganic said, adding that several people were detained as suspected instigators of the violence.
She did not say which team's fans were injured.
Two police officers were injured while trying to keep the rival groups apart.
The start of the match was delayed for about 30 minutes. PAOK won 85-81.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)
- Scattered storms possible in our area this weekend
- Official: Woman killed in San Antonio flooding
- Bill modifies concealed handgun licenses 46 min ago
- Coast Guard searching for missing 18-year-old swimmer
- Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved 50 min ago
- Video shows person of interest in Cy-Fair area arson
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
- raw video: Chinese dog skateboards, rides toy cars
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos