Student mistaken for deer, shot to death
FERRUM, VA -- Officials in Virginia say a college student was shot to death while collecting frogs for biology class by a hunter who mistook her and her classmates for deer.
A Ferrum College spokeswoman says three students were collecting frogs Tuesday afternoon along a trail a mile west of campus.
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries says 23-year-old Jessica Goode was shot and killed and 20-year-old Regis J. Boudinot was shot in the hand. The third student wasn't hurt.
Department Sgt. Karl Martin says 31-year-old Jason David Cloutier of Ferrum was charged with manslaughter, reckless handling of a firearm and trespassing.
Cloutier's bond was set at $20,000 and court officials say he doesn't yet have a lawyer.
No one answered the phone at the home of the only Cloutier listed in Ferrum.
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 44 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 11 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder 1 min ago
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student