McDonald's makes its logo more 'green'
BERLIN, Germany -- McDonald's is going green -- swapping its traditional red backdrop for a deep hunter green -- to promote a more eco-friendly image in Europe.
About 100 German McDonald's restaurants will make the change by the end of 2009, the company said in a statement Monday. Some franchises in Great Britain and France have already started using the new color scheme behind their Golden Arches.
"This is not only a German initiative but a Europe-wide initiative," Martin Nowicki, McDonald's Germany spokesman, told The Associated Press.
The Oak Brook, Illinois-based burger behemoth has more than 32,000 restaurants in 118 countries and has long been targeted by activists as being environmentally unfriendly.
The company has warmed to "greener" practices, including environmentally friendly refrigeration and converting used oil into biodiesel fuel.
"With this new appearance we want to clarify our responsibility for the preservation of natural resources. In the future we will put an even larger focus on that," Hoger Beek, vice chairman of McDonald's Germany, said in the statement.
At least some environmental activists weren't swayed by the new color scheme. Clare Oxborrow, a food campaigner with U.K.-based activist group Friends of the Earth, said McDonald's "relies on factory-farmed animals that have been fed on imported animal feed that's been grown on deforested land."
McDonald's says it takes steps to ensure it does not source feed from recently deforested areas, but Oxborrow suggested that McDonald's business model was environmentally unsound.
She said in an e-mail that the meat and diary industry that fills the fast food giant's buns "produces more climate-changing emissions than all the world's transport."
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 18 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 35 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 43 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 26 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 59 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 22 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 44 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
37 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
44 min ago