Man jokes about terrorism at German airport
BERLIN, Germany -- Police say a German man was temporarily detained at Stuttgart airport after he repeatedly told security personnel that he had explosives in his underwear.
The 42-year-old man apparently was joking about the failed attempt by a Nigerian man to blow up a jetliner bound for Detroit on Christmas Day by igniting explosives concealed in his underwear.
Police said a full body search of the German man on Tuesday did not turn up any explosives, but Tuifly airline refused to let the man, his wife and daughter board the plane to Egypt, where they planned a vacation.
The police said in a statement that the family would not be refunded for the cost of their canceled trip and could "expect a fine of up to euro1,000 ($1,444) ... and possible costs for the police operation."
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail