Man jokes about terrorism at German airport
BERLIN, Germany -- Police say a German man was temporarily detained at Stuttgart airport after he repeatedly told security personnel that he had explosives in his underwear.
The 42-year-old man apparently was joking about the failed attempt by a Nigerian man to blow up a jetliner bound for Detroit on Christmas Day by igniting explosives concealed in his underwear.
Police said a full body search of the German man on Tuesday did not turn up any explosives, but Tuifly airline refused to let the man, his wife and daughter board the plane to Egypt, where they planned a vacation.
The police said in a statement that the family would not be refunded for the cost of their canceled trip and could "expect a fine of up to euro1,000 ($1,444) ... and possible costs for the police operation."
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 30 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 33 min ago
- Hail coming down in parts of viewing area 6 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison 25 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Hail comes down in Stafford
6 min ago