Russian military jet disappears on training flight
MOSCOW, Russia -- A military spokesman says that a Russian fighter jet has disappeared while on a training mission in the country's far east.
Col. Alexei Kuznetsov says the Su-27 fighter jet has taken off from an air base near the city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur.
He said on Rossiya-24 television that the jet went off the radar screens Thursday while it was 30 kilometers (20 miles) away from the base.
Kuznetsov said rescue helicopters were searching for the plane and its pilot, but added that darkness complicated the effort. Most Russian helicopters lack equipment for flying at night.
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed while retrieving keys 42 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos