Russian military jet disappears on training flight
MOSCOW, Russia -- A military spokesman says that a Russian fighter jet has disappeared while on a training mission in the country's far east.
Col. Alexei Kuznetsov says the Su-27 fighter jet has taken off from an air base near the city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur.
He said on Rossiya-24 television that the jet went off the radar screens Thursday while it was 30 kilometers (20 miles) away from the base.
Kuznetsov said rescue helicopters were searching for the plane and its pilot, but added that darkness complicated the effort. Most Russian helicopters lack equipment for flying at night.
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents dead after altercation 32 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees 5 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses 5 min ago
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans