Russian military jet disappears on training flight
MOSCOW, Russia -- A military spokesman says that a Russian fighter jet has disappeared while on a training mission in the country's far east.
Col. Alexei Kuznetsov says the Su-27 fighter jet has taken off from an air base near the city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur.
He said on Rossiya-24 television that the jet went off the radar screens Thursday while it was 30 kilometers (20 miles) away from the base.
Kuznetsov said rescue helicopters were searching for the plane and its pilot, but added that darkness complicated the effort. Most Russian helicopters lack equipment for flying at night.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 11 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged 32 min ago
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
59 min ago