Officials: Three die in Indy house fire, 1 escapes
INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana -- Authorities say a woman and her boyfriend's two children are dead after a house fire in Indianapolis.
The Indianapolis Fire Department says the children's father escaped from the burning home.
Firefighters responding to the blaze around 6 a.m. found the three victims in the home within minutes.
The Fire Department says 32-year-old Cheryl Strong and 16 year-old Michael Fox died at the scene. Eight-year-old Kelsey Fox died at a hospital.
Daniel Fox, the children's father and Strong's boyfriend, told authorities he woke up hearing the kids screaming. He says he ran into the bathroom to try to open a window. The door shut behind him and he couldn't open it because it had no doorknob.
Fire officials say the kids were overcome by smoke while trying to save their father. The 37-year-old Fox says he broke the window and climbed out.
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 45 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin 59 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Trooper's wife killed when his gun accidentally discharged
- Toddler uses Facetime to get help for mom
- Ukraine PM: Won't give up 'single centimeter'
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver