Police probe Toyota Prius crash in NYC suburb
HARRISON, N.Y. -- The driver of a Toyota Prius told police in suburban New York that her car accelerated on its own, then lurched down a driveway, across a road and into a stone wall.
The 2005 Prius' air bags deployed when the car hit the wall on Tuesday, toppling boulders. The driver, a 56-year-old woman, escaped serious injury, Harrison police Capt. Anthony Marraccini said.
"The impact with the wall was pretty substantial," he said, adding that some stones from the wall were found 10 feet away.
Toyota has recalled some 8.5 million vehicles worldwide -- more than 6 million in the United States -- because of acceleration problems in multiple models and braking issues in the Prius.
Police were investigating the cause of the crash, but Marraccini said a floor mat issue at the heart of many of the recalls did not appear to be a factor. The vehicle had been serviced by Toyota and the floor mats were secured, he said.
"The driver reported to us that the car accelerated while she was exiting her driveway and she lost control of the car," he said. He said she was lucky not to collide with traffic as the car crossed a street.
Police kept the vehicle for investigation. Toyota said it's not yet known whether the company will also investigate.
On Monday, California police stopped a runaway Prius going nearly 85 mph. The driver said the pedal jammed.
new york city, national/world
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing