Man stabs and kills 8 students in China
BEIJING, China -- A former doctor armed with a large knife rampaged outside an elementary school in eastern China, stabbing eight young children to death and wounding five others Tuesday, a local official and a state news agency said.
The assailant was arrested after the early morning attack, launched as students were arriving for school, Xinhua News Agency said. His rampage was finally stopped by passers-by and school security guards, Xinhua said, citing Wu Jiachong, the owner of a nearby shop.
The attacker, Zheng Minsheng, 41, worked as a doctor in a community clinic before resigning last June, Xinhua said, citing Huang Zhongping, spokesman for the Nanping city public security bureau.
Zheng was known to have a history of mental illness, said a man surnamed Wu in the Nanping city government office, who would not give his full name as is common among Chinese officials.
Eight children from Nanping City Experimental Elementary School were killed, and five were being treated at a hospital, Wu said. Six died at the scene.
The victims' ages were not known, but Chinese elementary schools typically have students ages 6 to 12.
The school, located in Fujian province, was closed and students were sent home for the day. Counseling would be provided for students when classes resume Wednesday, Xinhua said.
China has witnessed a series of school attacks over the past several years, which are often blamed on personal grudges or people with psychiatric problems, leading to calls for improved security.
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7 million older model Jeeps 8 min ago
- Overturned tanker truck causing traffic nightmare
- Gay pride parade's condom policy draws criticism
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6 4 min ago
- Houston man sentenced for operating bogus ambulance companies
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Minn. mother, son accused of stealing gopher feet
- Diving great Greg Louganis to marry in fall
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- Woodlands woman accused of setting fire to boyfriend's home
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: NFL player's home searched after killing 44 min ago