Gunmen kill 5 soldiers in Baghdad
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Police and army officials say gunmen riding in two cars shot dead five Iraqi soldiers at a checkpoint in the suburbs of Baghdad.
Authorities say that the soldiers were manning a checkpoint in Radwaniya, a Sunni suburb near the airport, when they were attacked early Wednesday.
Iraqi forces arrested 17 suspects in the area.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
While overall violence has dropped considerably in Iraq since 2008, policemen and soldiers are still often attacked by insurgents.
- Rockets road to the Finals begins tonight 9 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident 13 min ago
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 55 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians