Gunmen kill 5 soldiers in Baghdad
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Police and army officials say gunmen riding in two cars shot dead five Iraqi soldiers at a checkpoint in the suburbs of Baghdad.
Authorities say that the soldiers were manning a checkpoint in Radwaniya, a Sunni suburb near the airport, when they were attacked early Wednesday.
Iraqi forces arrested 17 suspects in the area.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
While overall violence has dropped considerably in Iraq since 2008, policemen and soldiers are still often attacked by insurgents.
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash 16 min ago
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus 8 min ago
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos