Jet returns to airport after engine cover falls
TRENTON, NJ -- Officials at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey say an engine cover fell off an airplane as it took off, forcing the jet to return to the airport.
Airport spokeswoman Jenn Friedberg says JetBlue Flight 507 was leaving for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., at about 6:15 a.m. Monday when the metal casing that covers the engine fell off. The plane returned to the airport and landed safely. There were no injuries.
The cover landed on the runway. Airport officials closed the runway briefly and switched traffic to another one as airport workers cleaned up the debris.
new jersey, national/world
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 14 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role 54 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
39 min ago