Jet returns to airport after engine cover falls
TRENTON, NJ -- Officials at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey say an engine cover fell off an airplane as it took off, forcing the jet to return to the airport.
Airport spokeswoman Jenn Friedberg says JetBlue Flight 507 was leaving for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., at about 6:15 a.m. Monday when the metal casing that covers the engine fell off. The plane returned to the airport and landed safely. There were no injuries.
The cover landed on the runway. Airport officials closed the runway briefly and switched traffic to another one as airport workers cleaned up the debris.
new jersey, national/world
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged
- Reports of smoke at IAH terminal; HFD investigating 22 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns