Conn. man who tried to cut off arm is in surgery
HARTFORD, CT -- A Connecticut man who tried to amputate his own arm after he became trapped for days while working on his basement furnace is back in surgery.
Jonathan Metz got his arm caught Sunday in his furnace boiler. He was rescued Wednesday, a day after he used his own tools and cut through most of his left arm.
Tina Verona, a spokeswoman for Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, says doctors on Friday morning were performing a grafting operation to prepare Metz for a prosthetic.
Dr. Scott Ellner says the operation involves removing more tissue that may not be healthy, and then grafting skin and muscle onto the remaining bone. It is expected to take several hours.
Doctors hope Metz, of West Hartford, can be released from the hospital sometime next week.
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc13.com
- Woman found dead inside burned out home
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 16 min ago
- Three Webster officers accused of using excessive force
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Fugitive Friday: Help find suspect in sexual assault of child
- Swimmer nabs monster lobster with bare hands
- Astronaut may get Christmas wish for spacewalk
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Sales brisk for tonight's $425M Mega Millions game
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
- Police: 2 people killed after Utah rock slide
- Travis Herzog's midday weather forecast
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos