Horrifying armed robbery caught on tape
SANTA ANA, Calif. -- Police in Santa, Ana, Calif. are seeking two armed and dangerous men they say are responsible for eight takeover robberies in the past month.
Investigators hope surveillance video will lead them to the suspects.
The video shows a masked suspect followed by his accomplice, who removes a shotgun from a case, racks a round into the chamber, then points it at a customer and a worker inside a smoke shop in Santa Ana at about 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 23.
"They took their time. They were slow and methodical about what they were doing, like they knew what they were doing," said Santa Ana Police Corp. Anthony Bertagna.
The suspects order the victims face down on the floor, restrain their hands with zip-ties, then they fill their bag with money from the cash register. After three terrifying minutes the suspects leave the store.
There were eight takeover robberies in less than a month. Police allege the men have hit stores in Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Fountain Valley and East Los Angeles, including a barbershop where they punched the uncooperative owner in the face. They also robbed two GameStop stores in one day.
"The potential for something bad happening increases the more and more they do this," said Bertagna.
At times, the suspects order victims to the back of the store, sometimes stealing from customers as well as taking money and items from the store itself.
"I know our economy is bad right now, but to revert to something like that, that's sad, it really is, and it's really scary for the people who work here as well, and myself," said Santa Ana resident Terry Martinez.
The suspects, who are in their late 20s, wear gloves and cover their faces. A camera, however, caught the suspect with the shotgun before he put on his bandana.
california, caught on tape, national/world, eileen frere
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Student caught with gun on campus 11 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 15 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again! 43 min ago
- Bush's ride for wounded veterans scheduled for May 56 min ago
- Facebook rolls out location-sharing feature 39 min ago