Pakistan arrests 7 militants, foil plot to kill PM
MULTAN, Pakistan -- Pakistani police say they've foiled a plot to kill the country's prime minister, foreign minister and some senior police, army and government officials.
Senior police official Abid Qadri said authorities learned about the plot during an initial interrogation of militants, who were arrested late Wednesday after a shootout near a village in central Pakistan.The militants opened fire when police tried to pull the suspects' car over for a routine check, Qadri said. Nobody was wounded or killed in the shooting, but two men managed to escape, he said. "We have averted several high-profile attacks by arresting these terrorists," he told The Associated Press. The men are all part of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, which is a banned Sunni Muslim militant group linked to both the Taliban and al-Qaida, Qadri said. The group has been blamed for attacking minority Shiite worship places and killing Shiites across Pakistan. Some of the suspects arrested Wednesday are believed to have taken part in last year's attack on the main Pakistani spy agency in the central city of Multan that killed 12 people, Qadri said. He did not say how far along the men were in their alleged plot to kill Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and the others. Qadri said the suspects also had plans to attack a key dam, a bridge and military installations.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million 31 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns 17 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Mutton bustin' champ steals show
38 min ago
- Battleship Texas celebrates its 100th...
30 min ago