Prince William's fiancee has famous US relatives
BOSTON, MA -- The fiancee of Britain's Prince William has some family ties to famous Americans, including the first U.S. president.
The New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston said Tuesday that Kate Middleton is an eighth cousin eight times removed to George Washington. Their common ancestor, Sir William Gascoigne, died in 1487.
William's late mother, Princess Diana, and great-grandmother, the Queen Mother, also were Washington's cousins.
Middleton's other American relatives include explorer Meriwether Lewis, who teamed with William Clark for their renowned 19th-century Western expedition. He's a ninth cousin seven times removed.
The society also says Middleton is a 13th cousin three times removed of World War II General George S. Patton.
Prince William and Middleton are 15th cousins, through Sir Thomas Fairfax, who died during Henry VIII's reign.
prince william, kate middleton, massachusetts, royal family, national/world
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 7 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County 41 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 53 min ago
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS 36 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 43 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives? 41 min ago
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 9 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again!