Prince William's fiancee has famous US relatives
BOSTON, MA -- The fiancee of Britain's Prince William has some family ties to famous Americans, including the first U.S. president.
The New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston said Tuesday that Kate Middleton is an eighth cousin eight times removed to George Washington. Their common ancestor, Sir William Gascoigne, died in 1487.
William's late mother, Princess Diana, and great-grandmother, the Queen Mother, also were Washington's cousins.
Middleton's other American relatives include explorer Meriwether Lewis, who teamed with William Clark for their renowned 19th-century Western expedition. He's a ninth cousin seven times removed.
The society also says Middleton is a 13th cousin three times removed of World War II General George S. Patton.
Prince William and Middleton are 15th cousins, through Sir Thomas Fairfax, who died during Henry VIII's reign.
prince william, kate middleton, massachusetts, royal family, national/world
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly 51 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- College students paid to take a year off? 15 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake 17 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage 21 min ago
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Dannon to reduce sugar in yogurt for kids
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death