Prince William's fiancee has famous US relatives
BOSTON, MA -- The fiancee of Britain's Prince William has some family ties to famous Americans, including the first U.S. president.
The New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston said Tuesday that Kate Middleton is an eighth cousin eight times removed to George Washington. Their common ancestor, Sir William Gascoigne, died in 1487.
William's late mother, Princess Diana, and great-grandmother, the Queen Mother, also were Washington's cousins.
Middleton's other American relatives include explorer Meriwether Lewis, who teamed with William Clark for their renowned 19th-century Western expedition. He's a ninth cousin seven times removed.
The society also says Middleton is a 13th cousin three times removed of World War II General George S. Patton.
Prince William and Middleton are 15th cousins, through Sir Thomas Fairfax, who died during Henry VIII's reign.
prince william, kate middleton, massachusetts, royal family, national/world
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids 40 min ago
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today