Wills, Kate to NW England in last pre-wedding trip
BLACKBURN, England -- Prince William and fiancee Kate Middleton visited northwest England on Monday to support local youth charities -- the last trip in their pre-wedding tour of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Adoring crowds lined up early in Blackburn to get a glimpse of the royal couple, who plan to marry April 29 at Westminster Abbey in London. Lillian Sleigh braved a steady rain in her wheelchair, which was decorated with union jack flags and pictures of the royal couple.
"I came here early, even though it's pouring with rain, to make sure I get the best chance of seeing William and Kate," she said. "They're a lovely couple and as for William, his mother Diana would have been so proud of him."
Shops and pubs were decorated with flags.
Arriving first at the Darwen Aldridge Community Academy, William was to give a short speech to launch a "prince's award" for SkillForce, one of the educational charities he supports.
They also planned to visit Witton Country Park in the afternoon as part of William's commitment to protect outdoor recreational spaces. Crowds swelled there in the morning despite the damp, leaden skies, and police were out in force.
Middleton was to provide the ceremonial start for a race and William was to observe soccer training. They also planned to watch a disabled cycling event.
Since announcing their engagement in November, the two have traveled to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, introducing Middleton to royal duties and to the British public.
royal wedding, kate middleton, prince william, national/world
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos