UK royal wedding to be live streamed on YouTube
LONDON, England -- Palace officials will offer live streaming of the April 29 royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton on the royal channel on YouTube.The four-hour live Internet coverage will include the ceremony at Westminster Abbey, the procession to Buckingham Palace, and the newlyweds' appearance on the palace balcony for an expected first public kiss. William's press office will also provide a live blog providing commentary and historical information as well as additional footage.
"The couple wish to strike a balance between a day that is sacred and intimate and a day that will be a cause for global celebration. To that end, they want the wedding to be as accessible to as many people as possible and that's why they are communicating in this way," a St. James's Palace spokesman said Tuesday, declining to be identified because of palace policy.
"William and Catherine have thoroughly enjoyed the process of creating their special day. They have been responsible for everything from the smallest detail, such as the reception canapes, to the big decisions like the carriages," he added.
Officials said this will be the first time YouTube has run a live blog alongside a live stream for an event.
The palace also plans to post addition royal wedding-related photos on Flickr leading up to the wedding, and expand its coverage on the Official Royal Wedding website, which has seen more than 8 million page views since its launch.
An official souvenir program will be produced for sale to crowds lining the parade route. It will cost 2 pounds ($3.20).
The program will include Middleton's new coat of arms, which uses an acorn to symbolize strength and continuity.
royal wedding, kate middleton, prince william, national/world
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 24 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston 5 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested 19 min ago
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes 45 min ago
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties 3 min ago
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- Last week's Houston food truck violations 44 min ago