Britons tell ABC13 what they thought of "the dress"
LONDON, England -- The royal wedding is over, but the effects of it are being felt in the fashion world. People in London are abuzz about the dress worn by the duchess of Cambridge.If you're looking for high fashion, look no further than London's "High Street" -- a magnet for tourists and locals alike.
It has hundreds of stores and seemingly unlimited choices, but this weekend in London, there was only one dress on the minds of shoppers.
"I liked it 'cause it's simple. I'm used to dresses being over the top, so I think it's going to start a trend of nice, simple dresses<" London resident Karim Shalak said.
"I knew it would be quite traditional. I knew she had to have her shoulders covered and a veil. It was stylish, but plain. I think her sister's dress was much, much nicer than hers was," Emma Edwards of London said.
"I thought it was subtly beautiful. I like the lace," 11-year-old Selina Singh said. "I thought it was very vintage."
Vintage? Perhaps. That's because Kate may have looked to Princess Grace's dress for inspiration. Grace was an American film star and commoner who, like Kate, also snagged a prince.
Some believe Kate may have come up a little short.
"I would have liked to see a little more detail, more contemporary edge, but they played traditional with his uniform too," Edwards said. "I think her sister's dress is what she would have liked, so she expressed herself through her sister's dress."
But others believe the new duchess got it just right.
"She is what you would want your wife to look like -- simple, elegant and nice," Shalak said.
So, for those expecting a little more glitz and glamour, rest assured. The classic fairytale lives on.
national/world, ilona carson
- Kubiak era ends in Houston 18 min ago
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch 15 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas 23 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana 11 min ago
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- Photos: Share Your Holidays Food Drive
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- Winter weather causes travel delays
30 min ago