Some lawmakers to view bin Laden's body photos
WASHINGTON -- Some members of Congress will be allowed to view photographs of Osama bin Laden's body, a spokeswoman for a Maryland congressman said Wednesday.
Heather Molino, a spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, said the Democratic congressman is planning to view the photos at CIA headquarters either Wednesday or Thursday.
"He is interested and wants to see them," Molino said.
Ruppersberger is a member of the House Intelligence Committee. All of that committee's members are among the congressional representatives who have been offered a chance to view the photographs, Molino said.
Last week, Ruppersberger said he agreed with the White House's decision not to publicly release photos of bin Laden's body. Ruppersberger, who spoke at a retirement community on Friday about the raid in Pakistan that resulted in bin Laden's death, said the photos could stoke anger among bin Laden supporters.
"Why enrage the rest of the world who don't like us? And we don't want them to rally behind his death to hurt us again," Ruppersberger said last week.
Ruppersberger noted that the decision not to release the photographs publicly could be re-evaluated "down the road."
"The purpose is, it's endgame, to protect American lives," Ruppersberger said.
osama bin laden, national/world
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 28 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 11 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving HISD school 37 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston