RI firefighters contain massive mill fire
WOONSOCKET, RI -- Firefighters have contained a massive blaze that destroyed a 122-year-old mill in Woonsocket, and city officials and business leaders are beginning to weigh in on the historic and economic loss to the city.
The old Alice Mill Rubber Manufacturing Plant is owned by Woonsocket's American Wood Pellet Co., which was planning to use part of the space to manufacture wood pellets and lease the rest to other tenants.Matt Wojcik, director of economic development for Woonsocket, on Wednesday called the mill a "major historical asset" to the city. He said its loss would radically change the neighborhood but expressed optimism the 7.5-acre parcel could be redeveloped. Fire officials say residual heat from a blow torch used by a contractor sparked the fire Tuesday evening. At least one firefighter was injured.
rhode island, national/world
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home