Mass. closes deep swimming pools after drowning
FALL RIVER, MA -- Authorities have closed all 30 state-run deep water public swimming pools in Massachusetts after a 36-year-old woman apparently drowned in a pool in Fall River, but wasn't discovered until two days later.
Wednesday's closing comes a day after youngsters jumped over a fence at night for a clandestine swim and found Marie Joseph's body floating in Veterans Memorial Pool at Lafayette Park.
The Department of Conservation and Recreation says the move will enable officials to review safety and operational procedures. The agency also suspended all workers at the pool.
Authorities were trying to determine if Joseph had been submerged in the pool since Sunday. Police Chief Daniel Racine says a 9-year-old boy Joseph was watching at the pool told them she slipped on a water slide and went underwater.
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water 16 min ago
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Police: West Houston apartment fire was no accident 6 min ago
- Drugs involved in deadly shooting in NW Harris Co., say deputies 4 min ago
- No charges expected after pedestrian hit in NW Harris Co. 3 min ago
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong 7 min ago
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Casey Curry's Friday forecast
12 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos