2nd Muslim charged in whipping attack in Australia
SYDNEY, Australia -- A second Muslim man has been charged in Australia in connection with an attack on a recent convert to Islam who was allegedly whipped 40 times for drinking alcohol.
A court has been told that Christian Martinez was whipped by four men as a religious punishment.
Wassim Fayad was freed on bail after being charged Wednesday with several offenses, including aggravated breaking and entering with intent to commit an indictable offense.
He is one of four men accused of breaking into Martinez's house, holding him down and whipping him with an electric cord.
The incident has created a furor in the Australian media, reflecting the friction caused by the expanding Islamic migrant community in the predominantly white Christian nation.
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home