2nd Muslim charged in whipping attack in Australia
SYDNEY, Australia -- A second Muslim man has been charged in Australia in connection with an attack on a recent convert to Islam who was allegedly whipped 40 times for drinking alcohol.
A court has been told that Christian Martinez was whipped by four men as a religious punishment.
Wassim Fayad was freed on bail after being charged Wednesday with several offenses, including aggravated breaking and entering with intent to commit an indictable offense.
He is one of four men accused of breaking into Martinez's house, holding him down and whipping him with an electric cord.
The incident has created a furor in the Australian media, reflecting the friction caused by the expanding Islamic migrant community in the predominantly white Christian nation.
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 5 min ago
- Detectives: Two shot at home near Pearland 10 min ago
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death 2 min ago
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- ABC13 broacasting Texans vs. Jags game Thursday night 39 min ago
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- Ohio murder suspect nabbed at Houston buffet restaurant 25 min ago
- Thief steals man's pants and shoots him
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Search for Missouri fugitive moves to Houston
- Nude pics on Instagram lead to sex assault suspects
- Police searching for driver who struck, killed bicyclist
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
38 min ago