40 injured in Washington state hayride accident
SEATTLE, WA -- Authorities say four people were hospitalized and 40 others sustained minor injuries in a hayride accident on Shaw Island.The San Juan County Sheriff's Office says the accident happened Sunday morning when a flatbed trailer carrying about 50 people collided with the tractor that was pulling it and dumped the passengers on the road.
Officials say the hayride was part of a weekend retreat by at least two northwest Washington church youth groups at Our Lady of the Rock Monastery on the island.
The sheriff's office says in a statement that during the hayride, the tractor and attached trailer were driving downhill when the trailer gained momentum and the tractor jackknifed.
Authorities say four people were airlifted to hospitals. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
- Child killed by falling tree branch 8 min ago
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle
- 3 shoplifting suspects nabbed after hour-long chase
- HISD school principal accused of shoplifting
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Texans can still make the playoffs if...
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Woman warning others after car sale goes awry
- When fictional sex is bad, really bad
- Last day of warm before the temperatures drop
- Because chimps are 'people' too....?
- Video: Saving money on holiday cards
- Which states swear the most on the phone
- Mom, 17, fatally stabbed while holding baby