40 injured in Washington state hayride accident
SEATTLE, WA -- Authorities say four people were hospitalized and 40 others sustained minor injuries in a hayride accident on Shaw Island.The San Juan County Sheriff's Office says the accident happened Sunday morning when a flatbed trailer carrying about 50 people collided with the tractor that was pulling it and dumped the passengers on the road.
Officials say the hayride was part of a weekend retreat by at least two northwest Washington church youth groups at Our Lady of the Rock Monastery on the island.
The sheriff's office says in a statement that during the hayride, the tractor and attached trailer were driving downhill when the trailer gained momentum and the tractor jackknifed.
Authorities say four people were airlifted to hospitals. Their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 7 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Costco fruit snacks recalled 39 min ago
- Fiat recalling more than 18,000 2014 Fiat 500Ls