Man allegedly robs 7-11 store with tree branch
CENTRAL ISLIP, NY -- A man who attempted to rob a Long Island 7-11 by attacking an employee with a tree branch is behind bars.
Police say on Thursday night, Michael Zimmerman walked into the store carrying a giant branch, demanded money, and then started beating the clerk with the tree.
The employee finally fought him off and chased him into the parking lot.
He was stopped by an off-duty police officer who was driving by at the time.
Zimmerman, who is from Ronkonkoma, was charged with attempted robbery, a first degree felony.
This story came to us from our sister station in New York, WABC-TV
new york, national/world
- Family scrambles to safety from burning home
- Parents sue city of Houston over daughter's death 34 min ago
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Sketch released of suspect in brazen robbery
- Keenum out; Schaub to start against Broncos 37 min ago
- 2 winning Mega Millions tickets sold
- New cameras to help cops settle disputes
- Good Samaritan saves Christmas for foster child
- One dead, others injured in Baytown wreck 37 min ago
- Feds to reduce stimulus due to improving job market
- Suit: Risk of fire aboard Carnival's 'Triumph' known
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Man wanted in deadly W. Harris Co. shooting turns self in
- Delivery man hides present in trash...on trash day