Man allegedly robs 7-11 store with tree branch
CENTRAL ISLIP, NY -- A man who attempted to rob a Long Island 7-11 by attacking an employee with a tree branch is behind bars.
Police say on Thursday night, Michael Zimmerman walked into the store carrying a giant branch, demanded money, and then started beating the clerk with the tree.
The employee finally fought him off and chased him into the parking lot.
He was stopped by an off-duty police officer who was driving by at the time.
Zimmerman, who is from Ronkonkoma, was charged with attempted robbery, a first degree felony.
This story came to us from our sister station in New York, WABC-TV
new york, national/world
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale