Two injured in LAX jet bridge collapse
LOS ANGELES, CA -- The captain of an American Airlines Boeing 737 and a passenger were injured when a jet bridge that connects planes to the terminal at Los Angeles International Airport collapsed, throwing them at least ten feet to the ground.
The pilot and passenger were exiting flight 557 after it arrived at about 6:40 p.m. Wednesday from Chicago, airline spokeswoman Rhonda Rathje said. When they stepped onto the passenger loading bridge the platform gave way and they fell to the ground.
Both were transported to Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital in Marina del Rey in fair condition, a fire department spokesman said. They complained of pain to their ankles, back and necks, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Rathje said the passenger was treated and released. She did not know the status of the pilot.
There was no damage to the aircraft, airport spokeswoman Diana Sanchez said.
The flight, which originated in Boston and had a stopover in Chicago, was carrying 107 passengers and crew members.
The cause of the collapse was under investigation, Sanchez said.
los angeles, national/world
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed while retrieving keys 6 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos