Tsunami warning canceled for Alaska's Aleutians
ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A tsunami warning was canceled early Friday morning for Alaska's Aleutian Islands following a 7.1 magnitude earthquake recorded in the Pacific Ocean.
The warning was canceled after only a small wave was recorded in the community of Atka, Alaska.
"In Atka, they had a little bump of a wave, but nothing of any kind of a destructive power. Just a wave," said Jeremy Zidek, a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Homeland Security.
The earthquake struck at about 2:55 a.m. AKDT, and there were no initial reports of injuries or damage, according to the United States Geological Survey.
The tsunami warning was issued for coastal areas of Alaska from Unimak Pass to Amchitka Pass, remote and not heavily populated areas.
Residents were evacuating to higher ground in Atka but then stopped at the cancellation, Zidek said.
A woman who answered the phone at the city hall in Unalaska, Alaska, but declined to give her name said people at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, were awakened by sirens.
"We have some people on high ground, but not a lot," she said before the warning was canceled. "Sirens woke us all up -- everybody's moving."
The state emergency response center was staffed early Friday morning.
In June, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 in the same area of the Aleutians also prompted a tsunami warning.
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths 52 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans 6 min ago
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero 6 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 44 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait
- Travis Herzog's Thursday forecast
11 min ago
- Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
6 min ago
- JJ Watt now a superhero
6 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos