Va. woman enters plea in cane-beating death case
BEDFORD, VA -- A 29-year-old Virginia woman faces up to 40 years in prison after pleading no contest to fatally beating her 77-year-old boyfriend with his own cane.
According to media reports, Kristina N. Pongracz entered her plea to second-degree murder Tuesday in Bedford County Circuit Court. Investigators say Pongracz beat William Herchenrider with his cane on May 4, 2010. He survived the initial beating but died months later.
Police say Pongracz beat Herchenrider because he wanted to kick her out of his home.
Pongracz's plea came on the day she was to stand trial. A judge ordered a presentencing report.
The charge carries a five- to 40-year prison term and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail