Va. woman enters plea in cane-beating death case
BEDFORD, VA -- A 29-year-old Virginia woman faces up to 40 years in prison after pleading no contest to fatally beating her 77-year-old boyfriend with his own cane.
According to media reports, Kristina N. Pongracz entered her plea to second-degree murder Tuesday in Bedford County Circuit Court. Investigators say Pongracz beat William Herchenrider with his cane on May 4, 2010. He survived the initial beating but died months later.
Police say Pongracz beat Herchenrider because he wanted to kick her out of his home.
Pongracz's plea came on the day she was to stand trial. A judge ordered a presentencing report.
The charge carries a five- to 40-year prison term and a fine of up to $100,000.
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 7 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 11 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Two arrested for trespassing after found on roof of church 36 min ago
- Toby Keith says Oklahoma hometown is 'strong' 48 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra