Va. woman enters plea in cane-beating death case
BEDFORD, VA -- A 29-year-old Virginia woman faces up to 40 years in prison after pleading no contest to fatally beating her 77-year-old boyfriend with his own cane.
According to media reports, Kristina N. Pongracz entered her plea to second-degree murder Tuesday in Bedford County Circuit Court. Investigators say Pongracz beat William Herchenrider with his cane on May 4, 2010. He survived the initial beating but died months later.
Police say Pongracz beat Herchenrider because he wanted to kick her out of his home.
Pongracz's plea came on the day she was to stand trial. A judge ordered a presentencing report.
The charge carries a five- to 40-year prison term and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters 36 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu 51 min ago
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos 45 min ago
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou