1 dead in fishing boat accident off NJ coast
BARNEGAT LIGHT, NJ -- One person died and a second was rescued after their fishing boat capsized about 10 miles off the New Jersey coast.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Crystalynn Kneen says the 44-foot Mandy Ness capsized off Long Beach Island late Tuesday.
The Coast Guard launched a search after receiving an emergency transmission from a beacon that activities when it gets wet.
Kneen says a Coast Guard rescue swimmer went underneath the capsized hull and brought out one victim, who was unresponsive. The person was pronounced dead at a hospital.
A passing fishing vessel rescued the second person.
Their names and genders have not been released.
new jersey, national/world
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Officials bust meth lab inside million-dollar home
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- Help the TSU band get to Canton with Michael Strahan
- Houston's cardinal to attend pope's...
29 min ago