Teen student drowns in Conn. pool during gym class
EAST HARTFORD, CT -- Authorities say a teenage boy has drowned in his Connecticut high school's swimming pool during gym class.
East Hartford Fire Chief John Oates says the boy was found unresponsive in East Hartford High's pool on Wednesday afternoon.
School Superintendent Mark Zito says the drowning remains under investigation. He says grief counselors will be provided to students, faculty and staff, and he extended his sympathies to the student's family and friends.
The student's identity wasn't immediately disclosed.
Emergency crews received a report at around 12:30 p.m. of an unresponsive student in the pool. The superintendent says that a bystander was performing CPR when rescuers arrived and that the teen was taken to a hospital.
An autopsy was planned to determine if any medical factors were involved in the boy's death.
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos