PA police: 64-year-old veteran beaten, six suspects sought
OLNEY, PA -- Police are looking for six suspects after a 64-year-old man, who served his country in Vietnam, was beaten on Tuesday evening in Philadelphia.
Investigators say the victim, a veteran by the name of Edward Schaefer, was walking northbound when he was approached from behind by a group of six teenage boys.
Those teens then assaulted Schaefer, causing a fractured skull and serious injuries to his head, face and hand.
"These kids are walking down the street and you can see it's not even planned," said Lt. George McClay of the Philadelphia Police. McClay added that Schaefer doesn't know exactly what happened - he can't remember because he was beaten so badly.
Schaefer, who lost an eye while serving in Vietnam and currently works for the Veterans Administration finding jobs for wounded vets, was photographed by police after the attack lying bloodied in the hospital.
"This behavior can't be let go. These animals have to be put away and this is the time we need people from the neighborhood to step up and help us," McClay said.
After the beating, the suspects then fled from the scene.
Investigators say, when caught, the suspects will be charged as adults with attempted murder.
On Thursday morning, police released surveillance video of the suspects. Police say the suspects are six Black and Hispanic males, 16-18 years of age.
The people who live and work in Olney are horrified and frightened.
"This is just terrible," said Marian McCloud. "Everything is just happening up and down this block - so many crimes are happening and no one is doing anything about it."
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 31 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 21 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Costco fruit snacks recalled 53 min ago