Missing NJ toddler found dead in septic tank
LAKEWOOD, NJ -- Authorities are investigating how a missing southern New Jersey toddler ended up dead in a nearby septic tank.
Lakewood police say the 2-year-old was found in the underground sewage tank on Monday night. Authorities say she may have fallen through a hole into the tank, which is used for processing waste.
The discovery of her body ended a roughly three-hour search by township police, an Ocean County Sheriff's Department canine unit and a state police helicopter.
It's unknown how long the toddler was inside the septic tank after her family had reported her missing.
The child is identified only by the initials J.C.
new jersey, national/world
- Lockdown at Kemah Walmart lifted 2 min ago
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive 23 min ago
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 42 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290