Missing NJ toddler found dead in septic tank
LAKEWOOD, NJ -- Authorities are investigating how a missing southern New Jersey toddler ended up dead in a nearby septic tank.
Lakewood police say the 2-year-old was found in the underground sewage tank on Monday night. Authorities say she may have fallen through a hole into the tank, which is used for processing waste.
The discovery of her body ended a roughly three-hour search by township police, an Ocean County Sheriff's Department canine unit and a state police helicopter.
It's unknown how long the toddler was inside the septic tank after her family had reported her missing.
The child is identified only by the initials J.C.
new jersey, national/world
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW 18 min ago
- Are you too good looking to get a date? 34 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'