Missing NJ toddler found dead in septic tank
LAKEWOOD, NJ -- Authorities are investigating how a missing southern New Jersey toddler ended up dead in a nearby septic tank.
Lakewood police say the 2-year-old was found in the underground sewage tank on Monday night. Authorities say she may have fallen through a hole into the tank, which is used for processing waste.
The discovery of her body ended a roughly three-hour search by township police, an Ocean County Sheriff's Department canine unit and a state police helicopter.
It's unknown how long the toddler was inside the septic tank after her family had reported her missing.
The child is identified only by the initials J.C.
new jersey, national/world
- weather: Severe weather across SE Texas
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 10 min ago
- More details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl 4 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County 48 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Strong storms move through SE Texas 37 min ago
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake 35 min ago
- Hearing scheduled to terminate rights of Baby Chloe's parents 31 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- Do you know all the apps your kids are using?
- Newest 'Dancing' winner crowned
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone