Body found in Alaska not missing barista
ANCHORAGE, AK -- A body found near a lake north of Anchorage is not that of a barista missing for nearly two months after being kidnapped from a coffee stand, police said Wednesday.
The body found by a person snowshoeing in a state park Tuesday evening is male, police spokesman Dave Parker said Wednesday.
The discovery of the remains led to speculation that it was 18-year-old Samantha Koenig. The young woman has not been seen since Feb. 1, when a surveillance camera captured images of her being led away from the coffee shack by a man who police believe was armed.
The case of the missing barista has galvanized the city in recent weeks with dozens of volunteers plastering the city with posters of the young woman's smiling face in hopes of aiding her safe return. Earlier this month, a 34-year-old Anchorage man was arrested in Texas for using her credit card or bank card, and Parker said he's a "person of interest" in her disappearance.
Israel Keyes' arrest in Lufkin was the result of a combined effort of Anchorage police, the FBI and Texas authorities.
Parker said it had not yet been determined if the body found at Eklutna Lake is connected to any other missing persons cases in Anchorage.
The body was of an adult male. Parker said investigators could not determine the victim's sex at the time the body was discovered.
The victim hasn't been identified. A post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death and identity may take a few days, Parker said.
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'