Body found in Alaska not missing barista
ANCHORAGE, AK -- A body found near a lake north of Anchorage is not that of a barista missing for nearly two months after being kidnapped from a coffee stand, police said Wednesday.
The body found by a person snowshoeing in a state park Tuesday evening is male, police spokesman Dave Parker said Wednesday.
The discovery of the remains led to speculation that it was 18-year-old Samantha Koenig. The young woman has not been seen since Feb. 1, when a surveillance camera captured images of her being led away from the coffee shack by a man who police believe was armed.
The case of the missing barista has galvanized the city in recent weeks with dozens of volunteers plastering the city with posters of the young woman's smiling face in hopes of aiding her safe return. Earlier this month, a 34-year-old Anchorage man was arrested in Texas for using her credit card or bank card, and Parker said he's a "person of interest" in her disappearance.
Israel Keyes' arrest in Lufkin was the result of a combined effort of Anchorage police, the FBI and Texas authorities.
Parker said it had not yet been determined if the body found at Eklutna Lake is connected to any other missing persons cases in Anchorage.
The body was of an adult male. Parker said investigators could not determine the victim's sex at the time the body was discovered.
The victim hasn't been identified. A post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death and identity may take a few days, Parker said.
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck 9 min ago
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard 17 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir 10 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip club
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today 54 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 24 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 22 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 26 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident