Body found in Alaska not missing barista
ANCHORAGE, AK -- A body found near a lake north of Anchorage is not that of a barista missing for nearly two months after being kidnapped from a coffee stand, police said Wednesday.
The body found by a person snowshoeing in a state park Tuesday evening is male, police spokesman Dave Parker said Wednesday.
The discovery of the remains led to speculation that it was 18-year-old Samantha Koenig. The young woman has not been seen since Feb. 1, when a surveillance camera captured images of her being led away from the coffee shack by a man who police believe was armed.
The case of the missing barista has galvanized the city in recent weeks with dozens of volunteers plastering the city with posters of the young woman's smiling face in hopes of aiding her safe return. Earlier this month, a 34-year-old Anchorage man was arrested in Texas for using her credit card or bank card, and Parker said he's a "person of interest" in her disappearance.
Israel Keyes' arrest in Lufkin was the result of a combined effort of Anchorage police, the FBI and Texas authorities.
Parker said it had not yet been determined if the body found at Eklutna Lake is connected to any other missing persons cases in Anchorage.
The body was of an adult male. Parker said investigators could not determine the victim's sex at the time the body was discovered.
The victim hasn't been identified. A post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death and identity may take a few days, Parker said.
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS 49 min ago
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class 46 min ago
- Bride accused of pushing husband off cliff pleads guilty 3 min ago
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- 'Fake' interpreter: 'I was hallucinating' 23 min ago
- Driver charged after turning to cosmetic for revenge 32 min ago
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- Motorcyclist dies after colliding with car
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- Are more Doritos-flavored foods on the way?
- Woman jailed over nasty note in lipstick
50 min ago