Family sues after wrong body prepped for viewing
JOHNSTOWN, PA -- A western Pennsylvania family is suing a hospital and funeral home after the wrong man's body was prepared for a viewing that had to be canceled after the family discovered the error.
Richard Tkacik's family is suing the Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center and a Richland Township funeral home over the mix-up last year.
The Tribune-Democrat of Johnstown reported Sunday that Richard Tkacik died at the hospital Nov. 23. Two days later, another man's body was at the viewing.
The lawsuit says the mistake was only confirmed when officials at Harris Funeral Home checked the body for a tattoo that Tkacik should have had. His body eventually located at the hospital.
Funeral home owner William Harris declined to discuss how the mistake happened but said the body was not wrongly buried or cremated and the family incurred no related expenses.
The hospital declined comment.
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy 36 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field 43 min ago
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold 12 min ago
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell 39 min ago
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 38 min ago
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait 3 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Video: Flu widespread in Harris County 39 min ago
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- Sneak peek at rare art exhibit
14 min ago
- Flu widespread in Harris County
39 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos