NY girl, 7, credited with alerting parents to fire
FARMINGVILLE, NY -- A 7-year-old New York girl is being hailed as a hero for saving her family by alerting them to a fire that destroyed their home.
Everyone got out safely due to Mia Wojciechoski's action.
Her father, Mark, told Newsday that Mia came running to her parents' bedroom around 2 a.m. Wednesday to alert them to the fire in their Farmingville home.
The father, a Long Island schoolteacher and coach, said the family lost everything. But he was thankful his wife, Mary; their daughters, Mia and Gabrielle; nephew Julian; and dog all were safe.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Mia had a simple explanation for alerting her parents: She couldn't sleep.
new york, national/world
- Severe weather possible this morning 3 min ago
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 10 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- 1 dead, 1 injured in double drive-by shooting 29 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston 17 min ago
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested 23 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 54 min ago
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Casey Curry's Saturday forecast
2 min ago