Va. couple accidentally shot at gun safety class
ROANOKE, VA -- A Roanoke, Va., man and his wife were recovering after he accidentally shot himself and her during a firearms safety class.
The Bedford County Sheriff's Office tells media outlets that Michael L. Deel shot himself in the hand with a .45-caliber handgun. The bullet also struck his wife, Michelle, in the leg as she was sitting beside him.
The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class at a residence. The instructor, Thomas Starke, told police he'd left the room and then heard a shot.
The Deels were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Michael Deel says the shooting was a "stupid accident."
- Kubiak era ends in Houston 23 min ago
- Dad's murder trial too much for him to watch
- Shots fired during robbery on UH campus
- Winter weather wreaks havoc across North Texas
- Texans fire special teams coach Joe Marciano
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Methodist: Personal info of 1,300 transplant patients stolen 14 min ago
- Officer who fired at van with kids in it fired 33 min ago
- Feds order changes following deadly train derailment 33 min ago
- Police: Galveston pair arrested with 13 pounds of marijuana
- New METRO rail line nearly ready for riders
- NKorea: Detained elderly American veteran deported 33 min ago
- Ohio Amish girl won't be forced to have chemo 33 min ago
- Judge: Cake maker must serve gay couples 33 min ago