Ex-Edwards aide to retake the stand for 5th day
GREENSBORO, NC -- An ex-aide to presidential candidate John Edwards is expected to retake the witness stand once again to face tough questions about secret donor money funneled to pay personal expenses.
Andrew Young was the first witness called by prosecutors after opening statements Monday and he has remained on the stand all week. Young's testimony is essential to making the government's case that Edwards directed a conspiracy to use nearly $1 million in secret payments from two political donors to help hide his pregnant mistress as he sought the White House in 2008. Edwards denies knowing about the money and has pleaded not guilty.
A defense lawyer forced Young to acknowledge Thursday that much of the money went to help build his family's $1.5 million dream house, not provide for the mistress.
north carolina, national/world
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 51 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school 41 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations 56 min ago
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston