Wife of ex-Edwards aide to retake the stand
GREENSBORO, NC -- The wife of an ex-aide to John Edwards is expected to retake the witness stand today after she broke down when recounting how the former presidential candidate asked her husband to falsely claim paternity of the baby carried by the politician's pregnant mistress.
Cheri Young testified Monday that Edwards knew about the nearly $1 million solicited from two wealthy campaign supporters to help hide the married Democrat's lover as he sought the White House in 2008. Edwards has pleaded not guilty to six counts related to campaign finance violations.
Young is the second witness called by prosecutors after her husband testified for five days last week. She's likely to face a sharp cross examination Tuesday from Edwards' defense lawyer over donors' money the couple spent to build their dream home.
north carolina, national/world
- weather: Rain falling across our area
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Gas station clerk shoots robbery suspect 2 min ago
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from hotel 39 min ago
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns