Wife of ex-Edwards aide to retake the stand
GREENSBORO, NC -- The wife of an ex-aide to John Edwards is expected to retake the witness stand today after she broke down when recounting how the former presidential candidate asked her husband to falsely claim paternity of the baby carried by the politician's pregnant mistress.
Cheri Young testified Monday that Edwards knew about the nearly $1 million solicited from two wealthy campaign supporters to help hide the married Democrat's lover as he sought the White House in 2008. Edwards has pleaded not guilty to six counts related to campaign finance violations.
Young is the second witness called by prosecutors after her husband testified for five days last week. She's likely to face a sharp cross examination Tuesday from Edwards' defense lawyer over donors' money the couple spent to build their dream home.
north carolina, national/world
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos