Wife of ex-Edwards aide to retake the stand
GREENSBORO, NC -- The wife of an ex-aide to John Edwards is expected to retake the witness stand today after she broke down when recounting how the former presidential candidate asked her husband to falsely claim paternity of the baby carried by the politician's pregnant mistress.
Cheri Young testified Monday that Edwards knew about the nearly $1 million solicited from two wealthy campaign supporters to help hide the married Democrat's lover as he sought the White House in 2008. Edwards has pleaded not guilty to six counts related to campaign finance violations.
Young is the second witness called by prosecutors after her husband testified for five days last week. She's likely to face a sharp cross examination Tuesday from Edwards' defense lawyer over donors' money the couple spent to build their dream home.
north carolina, national/world
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race 14 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped 22 min ago
- Coach accused of tattooing a minor
- 200lb generator stolen from man's driveway
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist
- 2 teens arrested for Sienna Plantation vandalism 30 min ago
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak