Donor's friend said she felt used by Edwards
GREENSBORO, NC -- A close friend of one of John Edwards' key donors says the wealthy heiress was deeply angered by a request to provide $40 to $50 million to endow a poverty foundation after Edwards' presidential hopes were dashed.
Interior designer Bryan Huffman testified in court Friday that Rachel "Bunny" Mellon felt that Edwards was trying to use her for her money after the request in the summer of 2008. Huffman says Edwards later claimed that he didn't know that a key aide had asked for that much.
The aide, Andrew Young, later reiterated to Huffman that the amount was Edwards' idea. Huffman testified that he believed Young was the one telling the truth.
Huffman has already testified that he funneled secret checks from Mellon to Young. Some of the money was later used to hide the candidate's mistress and the child they had.
north carolina, national/world
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations 48 min ago
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 36 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Parents distracted by devices, study says