Donor's friend said she felt used by Edwards
GREENSBORO, NC -- A close friend of one of John Edwards' key donors says the wealthy heiress was deeply angered by a request to provide $40 to $50 million to endow a poverty foundation after Edwards' presidential hopes were dashed.
Interior designer Bryan Huffman testified in court Friday that Rachel "Bunny" Mellon felt that Edwards was trying to use her for her money after the request in the summer of 2008. Huffman says Edwards later claimed that he didn't know that a key aide had asked for that much.
The aide, Andrew Young, later reiterated to Huffman that the amount was Edwards' idea. Huffman testified that he believed Young was the one telling the truth.
Huffman has already testified that he funneled secret checks from Mellon to Young. Some of the money was later used to hide the candidate's mistress and the child they had.
north carolina, national/world
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle