Edwards donor says he told Obama camp about affair
GREENSBORO, NC -- A onetime donor to John Edwards has testified that he warned the campaign of President Barack Obama in 2008 to look closely at rumors about the former North Carolina senator's infidelity.
Chapel Hill developer Tim Toben testified Tuesday at Edwards' campaign finance corruption trial that he was astonished when Edwards told him he still had lofty political aspirations during a dinner in the summer of 2008. By then, Edwards' presidential bid had unraveled and affair rumors were surfacing.
Toben testified that Edwards told him he believed Obama might tap him to run as vice president or be a member of his Cabinet. Toben had firsthand knowledge of Edwards' affair and told a friend in the Obama campaign to closely examine the infidelity rumors.
Toben's testimony was also the first time that jurors heard a mention of a sex tape that showed Edwards and his mistress Rielle Hunter.
north carolina, national/world
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 53 min ago
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 3 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 6 min ago
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 14 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 16 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
29 min ago