Defense rests without calling Edwards, mistress
GREENSBORO, NC -- John Edwards' defense team has rested their case without the former presidential candidate or his mistress taking the witness stand.
Edwards' defense team rested Wednesday morning.
Some court watchers had expected the former U.S. senator and trial lawyer to testify in his own defense. The move signals the defense believes it has already proven its case.
Putting Edwards on the stand would have exposed him to withering cross-examination about his past lies and personal failings.
Edwards has pleaded not guilty to six counts of campaign finance violations. He faces up to 30 years in prison.
north carolina, national/world
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 7 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 24 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss 32 min ago
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 57 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 15 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 48 min ago
- First the wind, then the cold 11 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym 33 min ago
- Spruce up your furniture for spring
26 min ago
- Fix the most common mistakes made at the gym
33 min ago