Jet makes emergency landing in NC after oil leak
MORRISVILLE, NC -- Leaking oil forced an American Airlines passenger plane to make an emergency landing at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.
Airport officials said the pilot noticed the leak shortly after taking off from Raleigh for Chicago around 8:15 a.m. Sunday. The first attempt at an emergency landing was scrapped, but the pilot brought the plane down safely as emergency crews stood by on the second attempt.
Authorities say none of the 138 passengers on the MD-83 jet were injured.
Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines was bringing in another plane to take the passengers to Chicago.
north carolina, national/world
- Severe weather possible this morning
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 23 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- A&E claims death threats since Robertson's suspension 22 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business 9 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Woman's body found in SW Houston; suspect arrested
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 29 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 27 min ago
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish