4 days to opening arguments in Sandusky trial
BELLEFONTE, PA -- The attorneys arguing the child sexual abuse trial of former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky have four days to figure out how to sway a jury heavy with connections to the school.
Seven women and five men will hear opening statements Monday in the sweeping case that rocked the university and led to the ouster of famed football coach Joe Paterno.
Four alternates also were chosen Wednesday after jury selection wrapped up in less than two days. Some legal experts questioned whether a jury could be selected at all given the school's deep roots.
But the judge has insisted that what matters more is a juror's pledge to be impartial. Among the 16 jurors total selected, 10 had some tie -- either directly or indirectly -- to Penn State.
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase 44 min ago
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident 48 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Tax break weekend in Texas for Energy Star items 42 min ago
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- 13 Things to Know for Friday
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos