Woman who escaped theater shooting giving birth
raw video: James Holmes makes first court appearance
CENTENNIAL, CO -- It was a big week for Katie and Caleb Medley.
He made it to the second round of a comedy contest at a club in Denver. She was scheduled to deliver their first baby, a boy already named Hugo. They decided to go to a midnight showing of the new Batman movie on Friday as a last treat before becoming parents.
On Monday, Katie Medley was delivering the baby while her husband was in critical condition in the same hospital after being wounded in the head during the shooting in Aurora that killed 12 people at a movie theater. Katie Medley escaped unhurt.
Her delivery location was switched to University of Colorado Hospital so they could be close to one another.
Friend Michael West said the baby hadn't arrived as of Monday afternoon.
Katie Medley's father, David Sanchez, said his daughter and son-in-law had been waiting for a year to watch the premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises."
While his daughter was delivering her baby, Sanchez went to the courthouse in suburban Denver where shooting suspect James Holmes was making his first court appearance. Sanchez arrived too late to get a seat and to see Holmes.
"When it's your own daughter and she escaped death by mere seconds, I want to say it makes you angry," he said outside court.
Sanchez told the Denver Post that doctors aren't sure if Caleb Medley will be able to see his baby right away because of concerns about infections.
Friends have set up a website to raise money and seek prayers for the couple, who don't have health insurance. So far, they've raised about $15,000.
- Road rage incident ends with shooting of girl
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- One dead in auto-pedestrian wreck on south side of town 5 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck wil be charged 57 min ago
- Good Samaritans run over in SW Houston carjacking
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America comes to the aid of suspended student
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians
- Nice weather for Easter!