Pa. woman dies after being hit by tire on highway
PITTSBURGH, PA -- A 19-year-old Pittsburgh woman has died after her car was struck by a tire that came off another vehicle.
Katie Puwalowski died Tuesday afternoon at UPMC Mercy hospital where she was taken after the Monday night accident on Interstate 376, which is known locally as the Parkway West.
State police are still investigating, but they say a tire fell off an SUV traveling in the opposite direction, bounced over a concrete barrier and hit the roof of Puwalowski's car. Her passenger was able to safely steer the car off the highway.
The passenger was treated and released from a hospital. The driver of the Jeep Grand Cherokee that lost the tire wasn't hurt.
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor 51 min ago
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green